Vegan Friendly Roast Pumpkin Turkish Roll
Get a Quote
- 2 large handfuls of fresh basil
- 50g pinenuts
- 2 Tbspns of olive oil
- 2 Tbspns of nutritional yeast
- 1 tspn lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- Lemon zest (Optional)
- 2 Tbsp vegan ghee
- 1 large red onion
- 6 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Whole butternut pumpkin
- Olive oil (to drizzle over pumpkin)
- Salt and pepper
- Baked almond feta
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C
- Prepare roast pumpkin by cutting in half, remove skin and then slice into semicircles 1/3 cm width
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and lay pumpkin evenly spaced out (you need six slices per sandwich)
- Drizzle olive oil and coat well. Season pumpkin with salt and pepper, place in oven and cook for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Start preparations for the caramelised onions by cutting a red onion and a half and then slicing finely.
- Heat frying pan and placed ghee in pan until melted.
- Place onions in pan and fry lightly (until slightly translucent)
- Add red wine vinegar, mix lightly and then add the brown sugar. Mix until dissolved.
- Turn the heat right down. Cover onions and simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, start preparations for basil pesto by toasting the pine nuts
- Once the pine nuts have toasted, place all ingredients in a food processor and blitz to a desired consistency. I prefer a medium course texture.
- Remove the lid of the caramelised onions. By now they should have softened. Slightly turn up the heat and cook until the juices in the pan thicken. Remove from the pan and set aside for assembly of sandwich.
- Once the pumpkin has roasted and you see golden edges, remove from the oven and set aside for assembly of sandwich
- Begin the assembly of the sandwich by cutting the Il Granino Turkish roll in half. Remove some of the bread content from the inside of the roll (this makes more space for the filling). Lightly toast the Il Granino Turkish bread under the grill or in the oven.
- Once the Il GraninoTurkish roll is toasted, spread the avocado on the bottom part of the two rolls. Place the roast pumpkin next by laying piece of side-by-side. Next place and even coverage of the caramelised onion over the pumpkin. Lay a handful of rocket over the onion then crumble the almond feta over the rocket. Lastly, spread and even amount on the inside of the top slice of Il GraninoTurkish roll before placing it on top to complete sandwich.